- Our Team
- What We Do
- Insulation Installation
- Crawl Spaces
- Mold Remediation
- Radon Testing and Mitigation
- Foundation Waterproofing
- Home Performance Contracting
- Green Remodeling
- ENERGY STAR Certification
- Energy Audits
- Sound Control With Insulation
- Contact Us
- Schedule a Free Estimate
When Albemarle County Sheriff J.E.“Chip” Harding and his wife Linda first decided to renovate their home in Pantops, they were focused largely on cosmetic improvements like granite countertops. After a Home Energy Assessment they decided to include energy efficiency in their remodel. “She was like a detective,” Harding recalls of his home energy assessor, who discovered issues like an uncovered whole house fan (like leaving a window open year round.) “Once she pointed out the problems, it was obvious. Major energy leaks were hiding in plain sight.”
The Home Performance Assessment
- Only 8” of compressed fiberglass insulation with many voids under attic flooring
- Recessed can lights were leaking a lot of air
- The attic stairs were not air sealed or insulated
- In the basement, there was a large hole at the electrical panel connected to the garage allowing air infiltration
- The door between the house and the garage was not weather stripped
- The homeowner built a raised storage platform so 12” of blown cellulose insulation could be added to the attic floor.
- Recessed can lights were boxed, air sealed, and covered in insulation
- Homeowner plans to change out the old whole house fan with a new air-tight, insulated model
- The electrical panel was sealed off from the garage
- The garage door was weather stripped so no cold drafts or car exhaust can enter the living space.
Projected savings: 20% energy savings and air leakage reduced by 30%
Case Study Courtesy of our Good Friends at the Local Energy Alliance Program (LEAP).
Carla, Stanardsville, VA
Many thanks! I am very happy with what your crew has done for my house. As more areas become accessible, I will continue to ask you to assess and insulate!